The Ark of Taste is a living catalog of delicious and distinctive foods facing extinction. By identifying and championing these foods we keep them in production and on our plates.
To qualify for the Ark of Taste in the USA, food products must be:
- Outstanding in terms of taste – as defined in the context of local traditions and uses
- At-risk biologically or as culinary traditions
- Able to be sustainably produced
- Culturally or historically linked to a specific region, locality, community or traditional production practice in the U.S.
- Produced in limited quantities, by farms or by small-scale processing companies, for home consumption, or, in the case of endangered plants and animals, for the purpose of regeneration